Saturday, September 20, 2008

Unexpected friends

Last week I came home from school to find a small and buggy visitor hanging out on the curtain in my room. But by the time I saw the little guy, my roommate (who is excellent at disposing of little unwanted critters) was already asleep. So I decided I could sleep with one eye open for one night. Before I went off to school the next morning I made sure to note his exact position, cracked the window open a little, glared for a moment to make sure he understood he was unwanted, then headed off. But to no avail; upon my return I was greeted once again by my six-legged roommate in the exact same spot. After a few days of this repeated pattern, he actually started to grow on me. I knew I was a gonner when I finally named him. Fanzio. There he was, every day on the other side of my desk, contemplating the meaning of life and keeping me company. Fanzio and I were becoming fast friends. But just when I was growing to love my hard-shelled amico, tragedy struck. I came into my room after school and Fanzio was nowhere to be found. The grieving period was brief but earnest. It ended abruptly once I started wondering exactly where Fanzio went, seeing as how the window had been closed all day. The only thing worse than finding a bug in your room, is NOT finding it later. If that Fanzio ends up at the bottom of my bed later, all fond feelings go out the window. But for now, let’s just assume he died and fell neatly into my trash can two feet to the right. So Fanzio, I’ll miss you. RIP. …not in my bed.

2 comments:

Katelyn Marie said...

hahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa so funny. oh fanzio, how we loved thee.

Mandy said...

what kind of bug was fanzio,rest his soul. ?